Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Australian wine a winner in Italy (at least in my house)

Well they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but I’m wondering if a flash bottle of wine isn’t better. My boyfriend was very impressed with the "gluggability" of our Penfold’s Koonunga Hill shiraz cabernet and had himself a second and third (!) glass.

I am proud to say the Heineken was put back in the fridge. And I thoroughly enjoyed that teeth staining, full Aussie red for a change. Probably not something I would always drink as I think my taste, like many I think, is changing slightly and I now enjoy an elegant wine, particularly in the heat we’re having in Italy in the moment.

Buying this bottle in Italy though, I was also able to appreciate the 2001 vintage. I find when I’m here mostly I can only get hold of recent vintages, if not the latest, and this is not always a good thing when we’re talking nebbiolo. One bad Australian habit is, in my opinion, drinking our wines too young. Maybe it’s just a lack of patience when ripping the cork out of a bottle. But the patient will be rewarded!

Anyway, here’s to Koonunga Hill and taking over the world. I only need to find the funds to support my now more expensive habit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home