Thursday, December 15, 2005

Buying blind
Just yesterday I experienced one of those difficult wine buying scenarios at work. I was sent out with the brief to buy a bottle of red at around $80-100 for an important client because “she drinks red”.

So I knew two things that I considered pertinent to the purchase – she was a she and she drank red. Price not really an issue unless I was going to fork out for some Grange. My questions of whether she was a wine buff, a wine connoisseur or at all knowledgeable received no answers so I wandered down to our local merchants to see what I could find.

I had in mind what I didn’t want – a gutsy, full bodied wine with cheek-numbing tannins that needed to be cellared before it could be enjoyed. But it still had to be good just in case she was the said connoisseur.

I didn’t realise the veritable mine field this choice involved. If our very important client knew nothing about wine then it would be good to choose a well known brand – you can brag to friends and still pretend you’re an expert. But if she was really an expert, she might think the branded choice a cop-out – or worse, one of those hyped-up and hence disappointing wines.

By the time I reached the shop I had decided on the style I wanted – something with structure, but fruity with a smooth finish. It didn’t have to be a “light” wine, just well balanced and elegant.

I was offered the choice of some pinots at first: two well known ones from New Zealand and two lesser known ones from Australia – Yeringberg and Domaine A. I have since read about Domaine A and wouldn’t mind having a taste but as I wasn’t invited to the lunch with this very important client, I had to stay focused and not get distracted by other tantalising possibilities.

What truly won me over in the end was the wine merchant’s ability to sell, but sincerely so. I chose the Yeringberg label which is not the pinot I mentioned previously but a cabernet blend incorporating some merlot and malbec among others. He told me it was one of his all time favourite wines – described as “feminine” and although smooth, he assured me it had plenty flavour.

So, mission accomplished apart from the fact I never got a glass not being important enough yet to wine and dine our important clients. However, if I keep working on my office status as wine buff, I’m figuring an opportunity will come around sooner or later. Besides, every office needs the authoritative alcoholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home