Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Wine courses in Italy: becoming a sommelier and wine tasting Italy's regions



Autumn is going to be a very busy season for me, full of wine tasting events, not to mention the second level of my sommelier course.

I completed the first level of the Italian Sommeliers’ Association course in 2007, which requires more effort than most wine tasting courses in Italy you’re likely to come across. The first is about wine tasting techniques – examining the look, smell and taste of wine and how to analyse it while also learning the language parameters to describe wine.

The introductory level also presents lessons on wine production, oenology, spirits and liqueurs, the role of the sommelier and Italian wine legislation, among other topics. It’s a broad introduction, but effective enough for those who then want to develop their knowledge and tasting technique.

Things are heating up in the second course which obviously presumes a far more evolved student in terms of their theory and wine tasting experience. It must be said this is still a course for amateurs, and probably not recommended for whoever wants to become a fully-fledged professional sommelier.

The second level presents Italy’s wine growing regions and its DOCG, DOC and IGT classifications in depth. In terms of wine tasting, it also introduces a points system to judge the overall quality of a wine, rather than limiting the taster to observations and wine description. This will likely have me brushing up on the vocabulary and theory from the first course before assigning any points anywhere, and could see me doing plenty of swirling and smelling at home.

The first lesson had reassured me about how much I haven’t forgotten (but thought I had) from the first course, but then I was gripped by panic about how much more I have to learn and my startling level of ignorance. But I got the coffee perfume right with the Nero d’Avola...let the challenge begin!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home